Dr Angelo Ruffini (1864-1929)
- 1884 – University of Bologna (gold chloride method to study sensory endings). Director of the laboratory of normal and pathologic histology of the university Bologna.
- 1895 – lecturer in Histology Muncipal doctor and hospital director in the town of Lucignano in Tuscany –continued the study of receptor organs of muscle, skin and fascia.
- 1900 – International Congress of Pavia
- 1901 – Chief dissector of of the school of Anatomy and associate professor of embryology of the University of Siena. Discovered the presence of the three-laminar gastrula in amphibians.
- 1912 – Granted chair of Histology and general Physiology at the University of Bologna.
- 1925 – Published Fisiogenia (on organogenetic zones and the three-laminar gastrulation).
Letters from C. S. Sherrington, F.R.S., to Angelo Ruffini between 1896 and 1903 - John Eccles, Notes and Records of the Royal Society of London, Vol. 30, No. 1 (Jul., 1975) (pp. 69-88)